Friday, May 17, 2013

Darksiders Out of F*cking Nowhere


     So I thought up this plan to play Dark Souls and Mass Effect in tandem because they offer different experiences, and I thought that switching back and forth would keep both fresh.

It was working out great until I thought to myself, "Maybe I'll go to Barnes & Noble."

From Barnes & Noble, I wandered over to Target. Didn't really see anything there, I just felt like going is all.

Then I thought, "Hey, Gamestop is right over there. Haven't been there in a while." I perused the wall of games, took in the prices of some of the titles I had, at one point or another, considered purchasing.

Long story made pointless, I got Darksiders and started playing that.

I remember when Darksiders came out, I was excited. Similar to many games I've been excited about, there was a substantial write-up in Game Informer, because I did and still do subscribe to it.

The whole apocalypse thing just appealed to me at the time, and for some reason I recall the world being more open rather than big but linear. Kind of like Legend of Zelda you're-next-goal-is-here-but-you-can-do-stuff-in-places-X-Y-and-Z.

I've only just scratched the surface and I know it isn't going to be like that at all. No overworld to speak of, not that I can see.

Still, the gameplay is easy to pick up and the bevy of item slots the inventory screen has gets me excited. I like having an inventory full of sh*t, some of which I'll never use. I like having the option though.

Maybe my problem is that I like new things too much to get through the old things I have. Like, I've had Mass Effect for 3+ years, and while I've beaten it once before, I can't focus on it knowing I have 15 other games to complete.

And how the hell did I amass that many games without finishing them? Deus Ex, Dark Souls, Mass Effect 3, Assassin's Creed 2, Naughty Bear, Hitman: Blood Money, Crysis 2, Dead Space 2, Dishonored, Dragon Age 2, Skyrim, Far Cry 2, Just Cause 2, Final Fantasy XIII, Prototype, Spider-Man: Shattered Dimensions, Star Wars: The Force Unleashed 2, Sniper Elite V2.
Not my backlog, but A backlog

Holy hell, that's a lot of sequels. Whatever happened to standalone titles? Why does everything need to be a franchise or a direct continuation of one storyline?

The Zelda franchise is connected, but each game tells a different story, even if it features familiar characters or environments.

I forgot where I was going with this....

Oh, right. Darksiders.

So I hear it draws from a lot of great games, creating a satisfying, if overly familiar experience. I look forward to making up my own mind in that department.

Part of me wants to listen to The Foreskins "Murder Train" non-stop while playing this.

No comments:

Post a Comment